What is Echinacea?
It is a simple flowering plant and a member of the daisy family. More commonly known as purple coneflower, many people grow this powerful herb without even realizing it!
Uses for Echinacea
Echinacea can help encourage the immune system which may lead to faster recovery from illness
- A tincture of echinacea can help shorten a cold in half or prevent a cold from happening.
- Echinacea tea is said to help acute symptoms of illness.
How to Make Echinacea Tincture?
- The best time to remove the plant from the ground is during the fall, make sure to dig out the root (it’s the most important part).
- Rinse the plant and root well.
- Cut the plant (root, stem, flower) into 1 inch pieces.
- Fill 3/4 of a mason jar with the plant (don’t pack down).
- Fill mason jar with either Vodka or Apple Cider Vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar to make it kid friendly then drank the vodka).
- Let it sit in a dark space for a months or two, mixing daily.
- Strain the herbs from the tincture.
- Pour the tincture in dark amber bottles.
Adult Dosage: ¼ -½ teaspoon every hour for adults during illness.
Children Dosage: one to a few drop at a time.
Remember that tinctures don’t taste very good, feel free to cover the taste with honey, juices or anything else.
Here’s the link to buy Echinacea Tincture: http://naturals4you.ca/product/echinacea-tincture/